Thursday, 1 October 2026

Past Continuous review exercises


1 What were you doing at these times?

Write sentences as in the examples. The past continuous is not always necessary (see the second example).

Example:

  1. (at 7.30 yesterday evening) → I was having dinner.
  2. (at 6.15 last Saturday) → I was on a bus on my way home.
  3. (at 10.45 yesterday morning) → ___________________________________________
  4. (at 3.00 yesterday afternoon) → ___________________________________________
  5. (at 9.20 last night) → ___________________________________________
  6. (twenty minutes ago) → ___________________________________________

2 Use your own ideas to complete the sentences.

Use the past continuous.

  1. Emma called while we were having dinner.
  2. The phone rang while I ___________________________________________.
  3. We saw a strange man while we ___________________________________________.
  4. Jack fell asleep while he ___________________________________________.
  5. The music was playing, but nobody ___________________________________________.

3 Put the verb into the correct form, past continuous or past simple.

1. I (see) Laura in town last Saturday, but she (not / see) me.
She (look) the other way.

2.I (meet) Daniel and Sophie at the train station a few months ago. They (go) to Barcelona and I (go) to Valencia. We (have) a chat while we (wait) for our trains.

3.I (walk) home yesterday when a cyclist (fall) off his bike in front of me. Luckily, he (not / hurt) himself because he (wear) a helmet.


4 Put the verb into the correct form, past continuous or past simple.

  1. Alex __________________ (wait) for me when I __________________ (arrive).
  2. “What __________________ (you / do) at 8 o'clock yesterday evening?”
    “I was watching a film.”
  3. “__________________ (you / go) out last Saturday?”
    “No, I stayed at home.”
  4. How fast __________________ (you / run) when you __________________ (fall)?
  5. Maria __________________ (take) a photograph of me while I __________________ (not / look).
  6. We were in a very difficult situation. We __________________ (not / know) what to do.
  7. I haven't seen Ben for ages. When I last __________________ (see) him, he __________________ (look) for a new flat.
  8. I __________________ (walk) home when suddenly I __________________ (hear) a noise behind me. Someone __________________ (follow) me, so I __________________ (start) to run.
  9. When I was younger, I __________________ (want) to become a professional footballer.
  10. Last Sunday I __________________ (drop) a glass while I __________________ (wash) the dishes. Fortunately, it __________________ (not / break).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment